1. Read the text. Assume it is significant and coherent.
2. Identify key passages.
3. Figure out what the key passages mean and how they fit together.
4. Ask "What question is the author trying to answer?"
5. Figure out the author's answer to the question.
7. Test your interpretation for:
8. Digest what is significant about the key ideas of the text.
9. Write a summary of the problem areas in the text or in your interpretation of it.
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.